PairNIC Epic Fail

Hello folks, you probably have noticed that TinEye is down and you are most likely wondering why that is? I mean the lovely folks at idee take their servers and service seriously and would not take away such a wonderfully useful image search tool. Or would they? Well here is our sad sad epic fail story with our domain name registration service PairNic (PairNetworks)- yes, you there!

We are doing an incredibly simple thing (or so we thought): changing the tineye host servers, but we run into a major fail with our domain name registration service and it will be a while before they fix things. What’s a while, oh well perhaps an hour, perhaps longer. Who the hell knows, right? I know you can tell I am mad as hell!

For those interested in the technical details: it seems that pairNIC forces you to update your primary and secondary name server entries for a domain before they themselves have added your new DNS entries to their nameservers! And it takes them up to four hours to add your entries! Yeah, makes sense right? They are looking at fixing this at some unspecified time in the future. PairNIC = FAIL. And there you have it, so please go and amuse yourselves with the multicolr image search lab in the meantime. We are sorry!

BROWSE / IN TIMELINE

BROWSE / IN TinEye

COMMENTS / 8 COMMENTS

Whew! I’m so glad your service has not gone away, nor has a ne’er-do-well absconded with your domain name. While I only use your service for personal use, I do use it on an almost daily basis, and have come to rely on the browser plugin. Thanks so much for the update!

Michael Brutsch Nov 07 08 at 3:41 pm

It is a good news that you are still here! :)

TracKer Nov 07 08 at 4:15 pm

I use tineye of the öfteren are around pictures to vergleichendie of me
it would be a pity if tineye is no longer attainable
I hope, soon, that one of these services can be used again
I know many German these use her service

much Grüsse from Germany

Hanno

Hanno Nov 07 08 at 4:38 pm

Glad its just the bizarre PairNIC transfer focus and not something more devious.

Craig Saila Nov 07 08 at 4:38 pm

Hanno: thanks for dropping by. I know we have a lot of German fans and we like that! TinEye is almost back. Hang in there! Thanks.

Leila Boujnane Nov 07 08 at 4:44 pm

@Craig: what a fail! We are back at http://www.tineye.com just waiting for propagation to complete.

Leila Boujnane Nov 07 08 at 4:47 pm

are you still down as of 11 nov 2008? i was led to this site and downloaded the software and stuff and when i click the “upload image” button nothing happens other than “errors on page”?

al patzke Nov 11 08 at 1:48 pm

Hi Al, all is back to normal and TinEye.com is fine. If you are still experiencing any issues please email tineyefeedback@ideeinc.com I have forwarded your comment to the team so expect and email from us.

Leila Boujnane Nov 11 08 at 2:43 pm