Unveiling our TinEye redesign

Hello folks! If you haven’t noticed, things are looking quite different over at TinEye. We have been working on the redesign with the great folks over at silverorange, and we’re sure they’re just as excited about the launch as we are!

Aside from a whole new look, the navigation and layout of the site has changed.  And of course there is the addition of our new mascot! This robot-on-wheel will need a name soon… do I smell a contest?

Back to business. What exactly has changed? Well…

We’ve prettied-up the way results are displayed

The sort order is now clearly visible on the left side of your results, along with some easy ways to share your results with others. For image matches that appear on multiple domains, we’ve added a little orange count in the corner of the image thumbnail.

We’ve made it possible to share individual match results

Unlike the ‘Share Results’ column on the left side of the page which shares your entire set of search results, clicking ‘Link’ under an individual image match will allow you to view and share just that image match (anyone you share with will have the option to see the full set of results, as well). You have asked and we have delivered!

We remember what you were looking for

A small but important update! Now when you look for a web image, TinEye links back to that image in your search results so you don’t have to keep another browser window/tab open.

We’ve introduced badges

Share the love! Embed one of our cool new badges on your website and help get the word out about TinEye.

We’ve introduced content partner images

If you haven’t heard already, TinEye is officially accepting image submissions from online contributors. We have added a form to contact us if you manage a large online image collection and would like to submit them to the TinEye index. We have already indexed iStockphoto, Photoshelter and Clustershot and we have some further announcements to make very shortly.

We have also started identifying our various content partners in your search results. This makes it even easier to attribute the original author or source of an image. Just click on the URL in the ‘TinEye Contributor’ box to get to the official page for that image on our contributors’ website.

There’s plenty more to see on our new website, so do hop on over and have a look. Better yet, say hi and tell us what you think, or drop by our Facebook page. In the meantime, we are going back to work on the next update!

BROWSE / IN TIMELINE

BROWSE / IN Robot TinEye

COMMENTS / 24 COMMENTS

[…] TinEye (iespējamais latviskojums – konservu bundžas acs) ir Idée Inc. veidotais un uzturētais tiešsaistes attēlu meklētājs. Tas ir īpašs ar to, ka veic atgriezenisko informācijas meklēšanu. Respektīvi, netiek meklēts pats attēls, bet gan kaut kur, kaut kad atrasta attēla izcelsmes avots, modificētas un lielākas izšķirtspējas versijas. Veicot meklēšanas procesu, nav jāievada atslēgvārdi, bet gan jāaugšupielādē atbilstošais attēls. […]

Konservu bundžas acs « LBB Jauno speciālistu sekcija Jul 13 11 at 1:08 am

It would be great if we could choose some setting in our profiles to change our default results to biggest image, or most changed.

Yu Flink Apr 12 10 at 7:13 pm

love new design
good luck :)

farhad Apr 12 10 at 7:17 pm

Amazing!! Really a good redesign.

Clean style, bravo!

Syoma Apr 13 10 at 12:49 am

You managed to make tineye even more awesome and easy to use. I love the redesign.

Congrats

myows Apr 13 10 at 3:46 am

The previous results page was good; you could see more results in one look. This new results page looks crowded, messy and you have to scroll much more i.e. it’s less user-friendly.

Gruu Apr 13 10 at 4:00 am

Firstly, thanks for making the sorting options easier to access and the design looks beautiful.

I was also going to suggest the same thing as Flink as I want sorting by image size as the default. The results are already very relevant, so “Best Match” rarely helps. The biggest image usually is the original source or at least can be used to help me track it down.

Gerry Apr 13 10 at 7:55 am

Great work, couldn’t find any bug or incompatibility of the new website design and features!
I hope to see this robot everywhere!

Ohh can we really choose it’s name?!! It’s going to be interesting… :)

Rafael Apr 13 10 at 11:22 am

I’d like to suggest something, make the “Compare” and “Link” js windows open in the middle of the page and keep in the middle following possible page scrolling.
Thanks.

Rafael Apr 13 10 at 5:15 pm

Call the new mascot Tin Eye. DUH.

media_baron Apr 13 10 at 5:45 pm

Awesome redesign!!!

eViLrAcEr Apr 13 10 at 11:45 pm

Thank you for all your work !
Being able to search from an image, and to reach it’s source, feels magical to me. An old dream realised. :)

In the meantime, I am disapointed with the new design : what is important to notice at first sight is, now, melting in the mass. There’s no more space for the eyes to breathe, to rest.
It’s making my expercience far less fluid. As I may not be the only one, I think it’s a pity.

Maybe adding a bit more space between big blocks (header, content, footer…), and clearly separating the steady footer from where the action takes place : the searching part, would do the trick.

Aside from that, once again, thank you for providing a service so useful for me!

sapin Apr 14 10 at 4:59 am

The new design is cool!

nabarl Apr 14 10 at 3:32 pm

Call the mascot TinE

Antonymous Apr 14 10 at 9:13 pm

Tippy Apr 15 10 at 12:02 pm

Seems like the new redesign has a lot of wasted screen real estate on the sides. The results look more like a blog than a results page all crammed into the middle like that.

Also, it would be nice to have an inplace expansion when you click “view all # results” instead of it taking you to a whole other page.

Of course, I am only critical because I love this service and want it to be successful.

Mark Apr 15 10 at 1:43 pm

YEA!!! Call the mascot TinE It is the perfect name..

P.S. You are great service

CoolDesign Apr 15 10 at 7:10 pm

Im not a robot god damn it!!!!!

Cartman Apr 16 10 at 8:39 am

I must echo what Tippy wrote on Apr 15 10 at 12:02 pm:

“For some reason, the plug-in no longer works for me. Every time I use it, a “Robot Test” page comes up. I’ve reinstalled the plug-in and restarted my browser, still doesn’t work.”

This was a sudden change as of two days ago. “Preferences” in the Firefox add-on are not available.

Firefox on mac specifications are:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Ant.com Toolbar 2.0.1 Firefox/3.6.3 – Build ID: 20100401064631

The Tineye Images bookmark for Safari also no longer works, so I am hesitant to blame something in Firefox.

Thanks for looking into this and perhaps pointing me to a link that explains how I may fix the problem?

Thanks again,

L.

Lawrence Apr 17 10 at 9:48 am

Great new design, I use TinEye on a regular basis and generally hate when something I love changes. However I can’t find a single thing I don’t like about this design.

Great job guys!

Mike Apr 19 10 at 11:27 am

I love the new look, new features and also the cute robot mascot.
Good luck

Sridhar Apr 19 10 at 1:32 pm

I detest that robot.

Anonymous Apr 20 10 at 1:14 am

Interesting to see that those who like the redesign have got their say here. But if you look into the forum, you can see mucho unsatisfaction. I have to say, I don’t like the mascot either. It feels mood-disruptive and intrusive when I’m busy with my search results. It’s a visual annoyance, please remove it!

irripod Apr 30 10 at 3:48 pm